My children have had many firsts in their lives. First breath, first smile, first steps, first words; all significant, yet today's "first" is a biggie. I'm pretty sure the count down to this day began about 5 years ago when I looked at my little baby boy and pictured the moment he would go to school. It seemed light years away, yet it is suddenly here. Will was over the moon with excitement this morning-something I hope he will hold on to throughout the year. I was excited too but there was a lingering sadness. I am sad that we won't get to have our "lazy" mornings anymore where we don't have to worry about getting ready to go anywhere or we could go off on an adventure and not worry about other commitments. I am sad that I will not get to see him for a good chunk of the day...5 days a week.
We were able to spend some time with him at school before he boarded the bus for a safety lesson. Until that point I had held back the tears but when it was time to really say good-bye I lost it (thankfully I had my sunglasses on). Part of me wanted to scoop him up and take him home--okay guys, nice practice day see you next year! But I know that this is the time for my little boy to make his own way and learn new things...away from the safety of his mommy and daddy. He will have so many new firsts and we can't wait to experience them.
Reading Sports Illustrated before his big day
I think Drew is really going to miss his big brother!
Will arrived home very tired and sweaty. He had a "long" phone conversation with his cousin Lari who also had her first day of kindergarten today. They talked about their teachers, what they had for lunch and their favorite parts of the day (it was so cute--I wish I could have recorded it!). It was hard for me to not ask questions about every minute of his day. He can't wait to go back on Monday (he has tomorrow off since only half the K5 class comes tomorrow). TOmorrow we leave for MIssouri to visit my family--another first, the looong road trip (about 6hours without stops). Stay tuned....
No comments:
Post a Comment