Thursday, November 10, 2011

Total brag moment ahead

Just another warning that some serious bragging about my eldest is about to take place....

We have always known that Will is smart.  Since he was very little he has been able to pick up on things quickly and he has a memory like you wouldn't believe. 

I witnessed some of his math abilities about a month ago when I volunteered in his classroom.  His regular teacher was gone and he had a substitute.  The children were asked to do a worksheet (addition and subtraction) and Will finished in about 3 minutes.  When he told me he was done and asked what he should do, I told him to turn the paper over and make up his own problems.  He did.

The substitute teacher pulled me aside at one point and told me that he really shines in the area of math and that if we wanted to, we could contact her mother who tutors enriched students.  I have been thinking about that ever since that day but thought I would bring it up to his teacher at conferences next week.

Today, Will came home with what he called "a very important note."  It basically told us that Will would now be working with the Gifted and Talented teacher every week because he has "shown exceptional growth in geometry and discovering patterns (nonverbal reasoning)."  It will be very interesting to see how this one on one goes.  We are so proud of him!

No comments: